Help and Advice
Moving is generally a stressful time, and you’re bound to have questions. That’s why we’ve put together some tips and advice for when you’re moving house in Bexley, Bromley, Sidcup, Dartford or the surrounding areas. For further clarification please don’t hesitate to get in touch by calling 01322 310055 or 01322 310070 or via our contact form today!
- Plan: Work out where you want your possessions in the new home; making a plan is helpful, or alternatively stick post it notes with the names of the room on each respective door. It is useful to label boxes in the name of the room they are going to, as this saves the Roberts and Dennys operatives asking where to put every box that is unloaded. Make sure there is someone at the new property to show where you would like things to go. Another useful tip is to number boxes and make a note of what you have put inside each numbered box – this will help you to quickly get organised at the new property.
- Parking: If there are restrictions at the new house, let our office know. You need about 50 feet of parking for one moving van. It helps if the vehicle can park close to your property. If parking is a problem it is the customer’s responsibility to arrange a dispensation or permit to park.
- Flats: You will need priority of any lifts in your building. If the lift is small or non-existent, do not leave it until the van arrives. Advise us in advance so that we can ensure measures are in place to deliver efficiently.
- Unloading: You’ve seen the new property but our team haven’t. Please make us aware of any unexpected hazards such as obstructed access, narrow doorways, and spiral staircases or difficult access and restrictions.
- Moving Day: Try to avoid Fridays. Everyone wants to move on a Friday which is why it can be difficult and, with some removal companies, more expensive. Other busy days can be the first or last working day of the month, especially if these fall during a school holiday or bank holiday or even both.
- 1st Day/Night At Your New Home: It is worth packing a few things to keep handy for when you first get to the new home. You will need light bulbs, toilet paper, cleaning products, vacuum, mop and broom, toiletries, towels, bedding, spare clothing, tea, coffee, kettle and cups, basic tools for assembling furniture and minor repairs, mobile phone / tablet chargers, things to occupy the children, 48-72 hours supply of any regular medication and pet food/bowls.
- Valuables: Roberts & Denny’s cannot accept responsibility of important documents, jewellery and valuables such as handbags, mobile phones, laptops, tablets, cameras and handheld gaming devices/media players, which is why they should be kept in a safe place.
- Children and pets: Try to have children and pets looked after by relatives or neighbours on the day of your move as both children and pets can be very inquisitive, especially where moving home is concerned.
- Insurance / Liability Cover: We do not sell insurance cover. However, what we do offer is restricted liability cover for your belongings. Standard cover is restricted at £50 per item /article. Regular liability cover is for a sum of up to £10,000 cover for your belongings and is charged at 10% of the cost of your removal. Extended values are available and will be quoted for individually. This does not affect your statutory rights. Always arrange suitable cover for total peace of mind, It costs very little and protects you against the unknown. Remember that liability cover will not cover items that you have packed yourself (another good reason for leaving it to our experienced staff).
- Useful Contact Numbers: See our useful contact numbers dropdown button (at the top right of the page) for more detailed information on our local phone numbers but on your moving day you should also keep to hand your estate agents & solicitors telephone numbers along with our office number.
For more information on your move in Bexley, Kent & surrounding areas, whether it is of a residential or commercial nature, please do get in touch with us by calling 01322 310055 or 01322 310070 today or via our contact form.